Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chateau de Lascaux 2001 Coteaux du Languedoc

Was feeling a little down this weekend due to a combination of winter blues, struggling to get over a head cold earlier this week, and facing too much work to do next week, so I asked myself, "Who are the experts on all things morose?" The French, of course! When you're wallowing, why not wallow with the experts? So I headed to the basement and picked out a bottle of French wine from my collection. I only have 4-5 red French wines, so it wasn't too much of a difficult choice. I picked this bottle because I've had it for awhile and I vaguely recalled that it was moderately priced, and I must say that it fit my mood perfectly. Homey and comforting, not overly aggressive, it was a good wine to sip while watching the Food Network and pondering the universe.

Chateau de Lascaux, 2001 Coteaux du Languedoc
Country of origin: France
Region:
Coteaux du Languedoc (centered around the city Montpellier in Southern France and extending from Narbonne in the west to the edge of Camargue in the east and up to the CĂ©vennes mountains)

Stats: A blend of syrah, grenache, and mourvedre. Ratios unknown for this vintage.
Cost: Probably around $20. I bought it at Morgan & York (formerly the Big Ten Market) in Ann Arbor, MI sometime in 2003-2005.

Appearance:
Lovely deep garnet. Not overly dark.
Aroma: Complex nose of black cherries, black currant, and strawberries with a finishing note of vanilla & toasted coconut. There was a hint of chalk when I first opened the bottle, but that had disappeared by the next day.
Taste: Smooth and mild. Mellow fruit forward in the beginning and finishing with just a hint of tannins. Very nice sipper by itself, but would get overpowered by strong tasting food.

Wish I had bought more than one bottle, as this is just the wine to break the winter doldrums and get you day-dreaming about walking through the hills of Southern France.

Salute,
a Wine Student