Monday, May 12, 2008

Fenn Valley Vineyard Capriccio NV

My darling wife made a big batch of spaghetti and meatballs for supper last night, so I descended into the cellar to select a wine to pair with the meal. After some head scratching, I spied my bottle of Fenn Valley Vineyard's Capriccio from Michigan. Yes, you read correctly, this wine was grown and produced in western Michigan along the shores of Lake Michigan.

Fenn Valley Vineyard Capriccio NV
Country of origin: USA
Region:
Michigan
Appellation: Lake Michigan Shore (Southwest corner of the state)
Stats: 12.5% ABV
Cost: $12 at the winery (Michigan wineries can ship!)

Appearance:
Deep purple red with nice legs, baby!
Aroma: Black cherries and hints of vanilla with a slightly tart finish.
Taste:
Initial cherry with a tart raspberry finish. Good body and lingering finish. Soft and smooth tannins. This wine behaves like a good everyday Chianti. Good by itself, but even better with a tomato-based dish (such as sphagetti and meatballs).


Didn't think a good red table wine could be made from grapes grown in the cold climate of Michigan? Well, you obviously haven't read my blog in its entirety! You also need to go sample some Michigan wines. While white wines such as reisling and Gewurztraminer are definitely the stars, Michigan red wines are beginning to get notice beyond the wineries and the state as growing and vinification techniques are improving. I think we can all appreciate that Michigan's climate isn't well suited to grape varietals that require long hang times and hot temperatures to mature. Old Man Winter takes care of that! But a focus on cold-hardy varietals and hybrids is improving the outlook of red wine in Michigan. And Doug Welsh, the winemaker at Fenn Valley, is a pioneer in the Michigan winemaking world. Fenn Valley was actually the first Michigan winery I ever visited in 2001 after a few years of turning up my nose at them--yes, I was a CA wine snob when I first moved to Michigan! I credit Doug with opening my eyes to Michigan's possibilities thanks to his wines (I finally had the pleasure of meeting Doug at the 2007 Wineries Unlimited convention). If your driving north on I-196 along the shore of Lake Michigan, pull off to visit Sagatuck and then drive over the Fennville for a tasting tour of Fenn Valley Vineyards! You won't be disappointed.

Salute,
a Wine Student