Saturday, May 17, 2008

Keuka Overlook Cellars Mulberry

I' was in the mood for having a little nightcap before bedtime this past week, so I opened a bottle of a dessert wine that I picked up during my last winetasting trip to the Finger Lakes region in New York.

Keuka Overlook Cellars Mulberry
Country of origin: USA
Region:
New York
Appellation: Finger Lakes Region, Keuka Lake
Stats: 13% ABV, 11% residual sugar, 375 mL
Cost: $12 at the winery

Appearance:
Ruby red with hints of orange
Aroma: Mulberries, I guess (it's been a while since I tasted or smelled a mulberry). Dark fruity nose with notes of citrus and cocoa.
Taste:
Fruit forward. Not overly sweet considering the 11% residual sugar. It has an interesting smokey, funky aftertaste that got to me after awhile (didn't finish the bottle).

Keuka Overlook is a winery/bed & breakfast with a gorgeous overlook of Keuka Lake (now if I can only figure out where they got the name). The winery is located in the old red barn across the street from the B&B with the very cramped tasting room in the basement. I was intrigued with the mulberry wine because I used to pick mulberries as a kid. Mulberry pie is one of my favorite pies, so I had to try it. I'm not a huge fan of sweet dessert wines, but this was pretty nicely balanced. It's the aftertaste that is a little odd...

Salute,
a Wine Student

p.s. Sorry folks, no label picture. I apparently washed out the bottle and removed the label before I could remember to take a picture.