Monday, January 14, 2008

David Coffaro 2005 Barbera


On Saturday afternoon, I finished my chores and wanted to open a bottle of wine while I watched the Patriots advance to 17-0. After a little hemming and hawing in front of the wine racks, I chose a bottle of David Coffaro 2005 Barbera. Now, a lot of people don't care for barbera as a single varietal. It is used a lot for blending, but I've really enjoyed David's Barberas. I buy these as futures, but they might still be available in stores around San Francisco and Sonoma mostly.

David Coffaro 2005 Barbera
Cost:I paid ~$13 as a future. Retail now would be around $20-25.
Stats: 75% Barbera/15% Sangiovese/10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14.2% alcohol
Appelation: Sonoma County
Sub-appelation: Dry Creek Valley
Appearance: Clear, dark maroon, almost inky. Nice legs!
Aroma: Big fruit nose filled with black cherries, currants, and raisins with hints of vanilla and toasted coconut.
Taste: Smooth, fruity foretaste. Almost floral. Big pepper and spice finish with a slight tannic pucker.

I've been drinking this solo, but it would undoubtedly pair very nicely with a steak, hamburger, or tomato pasta.

Salute!
a Wine Student