Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lone Oak Estate Vineyards 2004 Merlot

Note: This is a previous post from a different blog in order to consolidate.

9/19/2006 Last weekend, I popped open a bottle of Lone Oak Estate Vineyards 2004 Merlot. I purchased the bottle when I visited the winery in early April this year for $18.95. All estate grown grapes from the wineries' vineyards just east of Jackson, MI. Deep red color, with some nice legs. Hints of tobacco and spice in the nose. Notes of pepper, bright cherry and cranberry flavors on the tongue. A little tart and tannic, this wine should age nicely for a few years (thank goodness I bought another bottle a few weeks ago!). Interestingly, the bottle I opened was not completely degassed as my Vacuvin pulled quite a bubble head.

I drank about 1/3 of the bottle on Friday night, about another 1/3 on Saturday, and finished the bottle of Sunday. The wine definitely improved with a little oxygenation after opening. The tannic taste had mellowed a bit by the second tasting.

Regards,
a Wine Student