Monday, January 7, 2008

Justin 2003 Obtuse


What is the essence of college football except watching the BCS National Championship game and sipping a glass of port?

Jeez, how pretentious am I? Usually, I'm swilling a beer while I'm watching football (serious, I'm being truthful), but I opened my bottle of Justin 2003 Obtuse last night to mourn the end of the weekend and didn't feel like breaking into anything else tonight.

Anyway...

Justin Vineyards & Winery is a growing commercial enterprise in the Paso Robles region of California (www.justinwine.com). My wife and I visited there about 3 years ago. Given it's location (15 miles west of Highway 101 at the end of some winding country roads) outside of Paso Robles, you'd expect a rather sleepy little country winery. But these folks have some serious marketing strength and have build a fairly large company. I'm a big fan of their cabernet sauvignons and was a member of their Wine Society for a few years until moving to Massachusetts. I've built up a small library of wines that aren't readily available in wine stores, so I certainly relish them when I open a bottle.

Justin 2003 Obtuse
Stats: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% alcohol
Price: $75
Appellation: Paso Robles, CA
Appearance: Dark ruby purple
Aroma: Dark cherries and dried currants.
Taste: Surprisingly subtle. Dark cherries & currants on the foretaste without the high alcohol taste of a typical port wine. Gentle on the palate with smooth tannins. Silky, lingering aftertaste. A port that lets the fruit shine without overpowering alcohol.

Salute,
a Wine Student